Sunday, June 24, 2012

Big Lots Clip-Lite

The last time I actually purchased anything from Big Lots was in March.  As it's been so long since I've checked their stock, everyone else may already know about these cuties:


The Clip-Lite comes three in a pack for $3.00 so they are comparable to buying the singular clip lights at the Dollar Tree.  These, of course, are smaller, both in clip grip and ability to expand. Nonetheless, I think they are super stylish and the small design makes it easier to add to your 1:6 world.


A simple pull and the light detaches from the clip with no damage.  Because of this, I can envision many ways to utilize the Clip-Lite with or without its clip.  If you want to turn it into another object, like say an espresso machine, wall sconce, tea pot, etc., it's made from lightweight plastic so cutting it shouldn't be a complicated process.

One thing to note: there is a plastic sleeve around the batteries.  When I turned on one of the lights, its beam was extremely weak.  After I opened it up, I could see that the plastic sleeve was preventing a full connection.  If you take that off and the beam is still weak, you got some dud batteries.

Enough with the technicalities, let's see it in use!


Sure you can clip it to things, but add a little HandiTak (also at Big Lots) and you can stick it almost anywhere.  Here I've stuck it to my desk lamp.  Surround it by an appropriate diorama, photograph it from the front and it would look like a street lamp.


Even though this and the Dollar Tree light use the same number of batteries, the Clip-Lite has a much brighter emanation and its batteries are replaceable (the DTree ones aren't).  However, replaceable batteries aren't so important because it would be cheaper to buy another pack of lights than to buy batteries.

Due to my living in a hurricane State, I have quite a varied collection of lights.  Since these little babies are clipable, compact and give off such a bright glow, not only will I use them for my dolls, I'll be adding several packs to my hurricane kit.

24 comments:

  1. Funny, I'd just been thinking about doll type lighting. I'll have to see of there is anything similar available here. They look useful and as if they would give good light for a fairly long time. It will be interesting to see what you turn the casing into - it does have a bit of a retro shape to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrickters, yes, I think that people into retro or steampunk would have fun with these.

      Delete
  2. Haven't seen any of those around here, they look great and seem very useful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rossetti, I really like how easy they could be used in an emergency. The electrical power goes off much too often during our rainy/hurricane season so a few of these sitting around would be useful.

      Delete
  3. I just found out we opened a new Dollar Tree very close to my house. That means there are 2 stores I can check out. The new Dollar Tree is next door to a Five Below. Love the discount stores! Muff, I think it was you that posted about lights at Dollar Tree before I got sick. Haven't opened them yet. Will soon to try them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frannie, I never heard of Five Below before so I googled them but they are not in my area. I hope we get one because that seems like my kind of place!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the info on the lights. I have to pick some up the next time I go to Big Lots. I didn't go that way yesterday but I think I need to start checking more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Brini. Yes, I think I should check more often too instead of waiting for another 20% off sale because it seems like they are never going to have one again!

      Delete
  5. Thanks Muff. I will pick some up when I go out today. I am on no doll shopping but $3 certainly won't hurt the convention budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgia Girl, I'm pretending this is a "home" purchase instead of a "doll" purchase so it wont count toward my doll budget, lol.

      Delete
  6. These are cute and could really come in handy. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Roxanne! Hope you find some. ^_^

      Delete
  7. Oh wow, thanks! I love them...they're really cute and will definitely come in handy. I also like the price point. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy India the price is one of its better features! I love a good bargin.

      Delete
  8. Love these! Will definately be adding them to Chynadoll Creations supply's ! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya, Chynadoll. They are so cute they have to be in your studio supply!

      Delete
  9. The light is so cute in the living room setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chadina (I like your new name). Those lights are pretty cute.

      Delete
  10. I will have to take a look at these. I'm curious as to how much smaller they are. When you mentioned using them in the hurricane kit, all I could picture was you walking around with tons of these clipped to you. Don't ask. The light highlights all of those wonderful books quite well. I really need to get to that project soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Vanessa, I tested the lights out and just one clipped to my bra gave me enough ambient light to maneuver around a 10x10 room without bumping into anything. I wouldn't try to read with one in a completely darkened room though.

      Delete
  11. I have some of these lightes I use them in
    Tariq's photo studio they are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, mustiwait! That's a cool idea to use them as photo studio lights. I'll remember that!

      Delete
  12. I tried using them and the barreries burn out quickly! I am still looking for just the right light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Leo I haven't done a test on the battery life of these. I think when I used the Dollar Tree lights one burned out in an hour and two more kept going about 3 hours. I think it's always a crap shoot when we go for the inexpensive stuff. At least these are pretty!

      Delete