Saturday, June 30, 2012

Bratzillaz - I Couldn't Resist

I psyched myself into buying the two I really wanted because I was worried they would be gone before my next buying period or that Mattel would cause a stink and make them get recalled. Were they worth $19.99?  Probably not.  Am I happy I got them?  Curse word yeah!

Because my photos are always their maximum size I usually post 10 images or less so I wont slow down anyone's browser.  This entry has double the photos I usually post.  I enabled the lightbox feature if you want to just click the first photo and scroll through the rest of the pics.

You've already seen the front of the boxes so here's the back of the two I purchased:



Just gorgeous

Fully designed clothing and not half prints.

Body Height:  Monster, Bratzillaz, Fashionista


Difference between articulated Bratzs.  Last one is a Talking Cloe on clearance at Walmart for $10.  She has the worst articulation ever.  Even worse than a Ken Fashionista.  Her knees barely bend and she cant sit upright at all.  At least she had a nice outfit though.  The Rock Bratz (1st one) has the best articulation of them all.  The Zillaz bottom legs are rubber, not solid plastic so they wobble around.  They should have been hard plastic like the thighs and then they would stand on their own better.  However, their knees do bend back further than the 1st Bratz.

I'm not dealing with these Zillaz's unfortunate fiber optic like hair issues, and I don't like anything about Sasha's hair, so it's off to the salon:


Because Bratz hair is hard glued, after I cut the hair close to the scalp, I pulled out what strands I could with needle nose pliers.  Next I used acetone to remove the white paint.  For safety reasons I'm not recommending this next step, but it is what I did.  Since the front hairline and crown are hard as a rock, I took a utility knife and shaved these areas down.  Doing so removed the hairs I couldn't pull out and gave the head a better shape.


On Flickr people were complaining about what a mess Meygana's hair is and I agree.  However, a treatment of African Royale Braid spray will make it more manageable.  I used the spray as a detangler instead of water, followed by a wide tooth comb and then a Moxie brush.  I left the spray in over night (almost 24 hours) and you'll see the results after the makeover fashion photos!

Here are wigs (all Liv) and fashions that they are able to wear:

Zillaz boots, Moxie Girlz skirt, Talking Bratz top

Harumika boots, Talking Bratz leggings and skirt, Barbie top

Moxie Teenz boots, Liv dress (fastened with a safety pin)

Ken shoes and socks, Bratz dress, Talking Bratz hat

Liv boots (don't really fit) and umbrella, Barbie skirt and top

Meygana's hair is still covered in spray for these next set of photos, so it wont look like this when I'm done.

Moxie Teenz boots, Liv pants, Moxie Girlz top

Harumika boots, Barbie Basic jeans, Liv top

Zillaz boots, Barbie pants, Liv top

Moxie Teenz boots, Liv skirt/top/jacket, lace socks by my Mom ^_^

Makeovers are done!


This will probably be Sashabella's everyday wig. After trying them all on, this is the one I like the most on her.  She looks like she stepped straight out of an anime.

I ran COLD water through Meygana's hair.  Just a quick rinse, not enough to take all of the braid spray out.  I cut it waist lenth because hair past the butt bothers me.  Her hair is now much softer, tangle free and easy to comb.  I like how poofy it is.  If you want a sleeker look then leave the braid product in.  However, it does have a residue to it, not unlike a jheri curl.  A light amount of spray will get rid of frizz and give hair a nice sheen, but a lot will weigh the hair down and give it a wet look.

My final thoughts are that these dolls could have been better articulated, the hair is a disaster and the accessories aren't all that.  Nonetheless, the fashions are really cute and their faces are stunning.  The eyes alone sell the dolls for me.  I mean, seriously, just gorgeous.

Halftone screen printing in the eyes - genius.

Glitter snowflake design - Now this is where glitter belongs.

I will leave you with these awesome instructions from the pamphlet insert:

  • Do not wash dolls hair with water and/or soap as doing so my cause irreparable damage.
  • Do not use any form of heat such as a blow dryer, curling iron, crimper, etc., on the doll's hair as it may cause irreparable damage to the hair.

You have been warned.

35 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, nice job! They are no scary anymore, but very beautiful.
    Snowflake eyes are awsome!

    You have amazing clothes for them, I envy you this Liv jacket ( black&yellow) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elianka! I was lucky enough to get most of those Liv fashions on clearance.

      Delete
  2. Going to Target this morning. Hopefully they will still have some LIV outfits on clerance. Also would like to see the Bratzilla dolls up close. And will be looking for MH dolls since they usually get their shipment in on Saturday Mornings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frannie, I haven't been by Target lately to check out what Liv items they have. Hope they still have some more on clearance.

      Delete
  3. So you caved..LOL. I will still wait on a sale or something. I think I will at least want Sashabella. I like her new hair much better than what she had.

    Now like Frannie I may have to hit Target for some LIV clearance ;O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dollz4Moi I caved with a quickness! Normally I would have waited. Heck, I still don't have any of the Stardolls and am waiting for them to clearance. But I couldn't hold out for the Zillaz. They truly must be witches!

      Delete
  4. Well I had *almost* talked myself out of getting one of these right now, but now I've talked myself back into getting one ASAP. I also need to hit Target to see if I can get some LIV fashions on clearance. These photos are great! Thanks Muff! Sashabella looks much better with the LIV hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Roxanne you sound like me talking myself into things. I tell you it's a slippery slope.

      Delete
  5. It must be fun go shopping with you. Amazing photos Muff!! I love the outfits and your new girls <3 Thank you for the tips about rerooting, I'm a bit messy with these stuffs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sergio I'm a horrible person to go shopping with! I take forever to make up my mind. I look at every little thing multiple times. I'm also that jerk who will take all the doll versions I want off the shelf and then move down the isle so I can inspect them at my leisure and then take the rejects back. I'm the worst! But I find the best bargins though! ^_^

      Delete
  6. hola amiga¡¡¡ felicidades por la compra, a mi me parecen maravillosas, y ver sus ojos de cerca... buff¡¡¡ son preciosos sobretodos los azules.
    Las dos que tienes son las mejores para mi¡
    que atrevida a los cambios con el pelo, me gusta la peluca pero ahora me recuerda mucho a clawdeen.
    Que pena que el pelo de la pelirroja no sea de calidad superior... es lo que ultimamente nos da mattel...
    gracias por el aviso sobre el secador pero llegas un poco tarde... tengo un par de barbies... un poco raritas... pero no se nota mucho... tu me guardas el secreto verdad??? besos desde España¡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Sarai! Usted está en lo cierto. No me di cuenta hasta que se señaló que ahora se ve como Sasha Clawdeen. Yo creo que realmente como monstruos, ¿verdad? Muchas gracias por visitarnos.

      Delete
  7. I commented earlier, from memory:

    Thank you for the wonderful size comparison visuals; the info on articulation, clothing choices, hair quality (or lack of), and tips on taming Meygana's unruly hair.

    I like Sashabella's wig choice.

    Glad you made your purchase while the dolls were still available.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DBG. I used to wear some pretty bad synthetic wigs and braids. That braid spray always made them look great.

      Delete
  8. Wow, you did a great job, they look much better now with the changes in their hair. Love the Liv wig you chose for the green-eyed, she look gorgeous!!! And you're right, their eyes is their best feature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rossetti. It's nice to be able to put all those Liv wigs to good use.

      Delete
  9. Your hair therapy on them makes them look fantastic! I hadn't been to interested in them until I saw those, and your closeup pics of their faces. So cute! I'll probably still stay away from them though... the Neemos are such a jealous lot sometimes... when it comes to other 1/6th dolls XD But I'll live vicariously through your posts!!!! XD

    Thank you so much for all the wonderful pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Heather! I think you are right. Your Neemos would not tolerate other witches in their midst. They might try to teach you a lesson! :O

      Delete
  10. Absolutely love love love your redressing photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roville. I usally find one outfit for my dolls to wear and that's it for life! It was actually fun to try on multiple combos.

      Delete
  11. Hello from Spain: what a good idea to use the wigs of the LIV. You did a great job. Congratulations for purchasing the wrist. You're right that she is wonderful. I also really like how she wears the clothes of the LIV. Thanks for reporting. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Marta. I'm glad that many of the Liv clothes will fit them with just a little bit of adjustment.

      Delete
  12. OMG I don't mean to offend the new bratz dolls but they are so ripping off monster high!!!!!!! cause first one looks exactly like clawdeen wolf in diffrent clothes and then one is dressed in pink and is hoilding an umbrella i mean seriously i understand that you want it to be scary but don't rip off them!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitty Kat, I think they are copying Monster High, but I'm all for variety. Gives us more to play with.

      Delete
    2. I wish you would rip off your head and stick it where they sun don't shine Kitty Kat this everyone one is ripping off Monster High is juvenile and tedious. Grow up!

      Delete
  13. Do the Bratzillaz shoes fit ever after high as I'm looking for boots for my Ever After High dolls I'm turning in to Sailor Moon and the gang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gem, the short Bratzillaz boots featured in this post do fit an Ever After High. However, the long boots actually do not. They both will fit over EAH feet, but the long boots just flop off.

      Delete
  14. What sized wigs do they wear? Do you know??
    I just picked two up at the thrift shop and I want to customize them. The poor dears are very.... Well loved. Especially the hair.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vi, I only tried Liv wigs which are 1.5 inches. I did have to remove the center peg in the Liv wigs though.

      Delete
  15. Hi! Great makeover!
    I really want to know in detail how you removed the rooted hair from sashabella as I'm desperate to do the same for a custom zilla Im working on.
    Did you have to remove the dolls head to take out all the hair? What tools did you use? Please reply!!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you turn the head to face sideways (can't remember which way I turned the head) pull and it should come off very easily (unlike the Ever After High and Monster High dolls).

    Cut the hair close enough to the head (not too close otherwise you'll damaged the head).

    Use either a pair of pliers or forceps to remove the hair from inside the doll (put the head in hot water to soften the glue).

    Hope this helps

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thankyou so much!
    Will putting the doll head in boiling water damage the inset eyes?
    Also, do you just shove the pliers inside the head and pluck at random?

    I really hope I can do this! =D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I found out that if you put some hot water in the head it should loosen the glue.

    You could also use long nosed tweezers to remove the hair inside.

    There's some videos on YouTube on how to remove hair

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay, thankyou very much for all your help!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete