Sunday, June 3, 2012

Easy Cutter Conclusion

To review, one of the best things to use an Easy Cutter for is to make your own books.


Clawdeen making a book tree. More books you can make from the Spring, 2012 Barbie Collector issue.

Another thing to use it for is to cut up unarticulated dolls.  Now some of you may say, "OMG, Muff, you need to settle down with cutting stuff!"  However, you can create custom displays to use in your boutiques and dioramas.

The rubber arms are super easy to cut.  Thighs and calves take a little effort and a steadier hand.  Making a torso is easy if you pull off the legs first and then snip around the undies.  I like to stagger the sizes and sometimes color them using markers.  The black hand has had matte varnish applied to it but the torso has no varnish.  Add some accessories and...


BOOM! Fashion Display.  Holla! \\(^__^)//

Now, the Easy Cutter was not meant for cutting through glue, paper, dolls or hard materials.  Since I'm probably messing up the blade by doing all that, I bought a second one to use strictly as intended, which is cutting wood.  The packaging says, "Cuts Stripwood up to 1/2" thick."

Although I have wood that thick, my first attempts have been with seeing what I could fashion out of craft sticks, tooth picks and Shish Kabob skewers.  I just enjoy trying to make things out of the simplest (and cheapest) materials.

The pile of rejects have already been discarded and these are the few surviving pieces that I have deemed acceptable.  Alright, I know they are not all that, but I made them all by myself and I think they are awesome!  It's amazing to me what you can create with some Popsicle sticks and glue.  They may not look like much, but throw in some props and they've got diorama potential.

My newer window is pretty fancy compared to the first versions I made.  The little flower pots are from Michaels.

The Lara Croft set isn't 1:6 scale, but whatever, 'cause my bench is adorable.  Two dolls can fit on it and it's actually rather sturdy.

At first this slanted display shelf was going to be a shoe rack, and then a book rack, but it's really too small for that.  However, it holds electronics just fine!

And thus concludes my spiel about the Easy Cutter.  If you get one, open it immediately and make sure your blade is straight and properly set in its groove.  If not, take it right back.  I cannot stress how sharp this thing is.  I have cut myself many times.  This is more owing to the fact that I'm fairly accident prone.  Nonetheless, be careful, good luck and cut some stuff!

43 comments:

  1. Wow Muff, you are truly amazing! I love the books, the display items (especially the hands). I plan to get the easy cutter real soon. Thanks so much for sharing the info. Great post by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND I love your wood pieces. The window is super cool (my fav) and the little stand is too cute!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Georgia Girl! If you have a doll with rubber arms you can go ahead and make the display hands with an exacto, razor blade or kitchen knife. A Easy Cutter would be faster and probably safer though. 0.o

      Delete
  2. wow! Realy creative! Everything is awsome!I have to made some furniture for my dolls :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elianka, thanks for saying so. ^_^ I'm sure your dolls will love your furniture.

      Delete
  3. OK its official this is on my birthday list!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Jay. If you can get it for your birthday, even better!

      Delete
  4. What awesome creations! I am not that creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Frannie! But I think you are creative at seeking out the best thrift store items! That's the kind of skill that I need.

      Delete
  5. Wow! Love all the creative wood furniture! Anything that can be glued, cut and crafted is my friend! I on the hunt for an easy cutter! Went to one Michaels and asked the sales girl...she was like what is that? Needless to say, my Michaels and Marshall's suck big time! I'm on my mission to find one though! Great job Muff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and thanks, Chynadoll! At my Michaels the EC is in the same section with wood burning etchers, wood clock sets, etc.

      Delete
  6. Everything looks wonderful. Love you bench and bookcase. I'm sure your beach chairs will be wonderful once you get around to making them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vanessa. I think those chairs would look cute made out of craft sticks.

      Delete
  7. Now i neeeeeeeeed an Easy Cutter! I fight with my fretsaw every time and i have a litle woodsaw, but this Easy-Cutter looks so much easier.
    Thanks for your nice tutorial of the books, your books look so lovely!
    Hugs
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, I actually prefer my cutter over my dremel saw. I'm always afraid the dremel blade is going to fly off because that actually happened once!

      Delete
  8. Okay, you've convinced me that I need one of these in my life. The furniture is awesome!
    Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alura and I hope you find one. More cutting for everyone!

      Delete
  9. Wow! Great creations :) Now I know what to use some of those bodies for and I'll have to give the books a try. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Adrian. I figured I have to do something with all those unarticulated bodies that weren't getting any use.

      Delete
  10. Ok, I'm adding an easy cutter to my list! Your displays and wooden creations look great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bow down to your creativity

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to get one of those... The idea of the boutique displays is great, i love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks a lot, Rossetti! ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey muff elijah here BREAKING NEWS:I will no longer read barbie blogs only aluras and vanessas and then american girl ones sorry bye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, Elijah. Farewell and enjoy your other bloggers.

      Delete
  15. Can I do that (in my Erkel voice) I got to get me one of those your stuff looks VERY GOOD Muff as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, MustIWait! You made me chuckle with your Erkel voice! Thanks for that and the compliment.

      Delete
  16. Wow, those pieces you put together at the end with craft sticks and toothpicks are just fantastic!!

    I'm going to have to get an Easy Cutter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Heather. They were fun and a little bit frustrating, lol, to put together.

      Delete
  17. Hello from Spain: a great job. I like all your creations from the window onto the books. You make wonderful furniture. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Marta! Thanks for stopping by and checking out my work. ^_^

      Delete
  18. You make me wanna start creating.........!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Muff your creations here are all that ;) I was at Michael's recently looking for small pots and didn't find any then again the store was huge, the layout unfamiliar and was pressed for time. I must go back and find some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Visionary! I got those pots on clearance and the next time I went they had changed their stock and weren't carrying them anymore. I did see some small ones that were ceramic but I just like the wood ones better.

      Delete
  20. Where has this blog been all my life?! Going to read every single post now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and welcome, Vita. I hope you found some interesting stuff within these posts. ^_^

      Delete
  21. The display shelf is my fave, I'd LOVE to have that, gasp, you're so creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dailey that diplay shelf was supposed to be something else entirely so I'm glad I stuck with it and was able to find pieces that would fit into it.

      Delete
  22. Hi Muff,

    Totally about to purchase one to make some of those fab books. What model of the Easy Cutter is this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya, Connor. I'm using the Midwest Products Easy Cutter. I've seen two versions; the ones at Joann's have a 2 inch cutting range and ones at AC Moore have a 1 inch cutting range.

      Delete