Sunday, June 17, 2012

Friends Boutique Bedroom Set with Aquarium

There's a Walmart store that I don't frequent that often because there's never anything on clearance.  Because this location never had any clearance tables near the toy isles I have been wrongly accusing them of being "too fancy."  However, after getting lost looking for oscillating fans, I found out on Friday that they have two entire isles dedicated to clearance items over by the linens and housewares.  Who knew?!

OMG, they had so much stuff on sale.  Some old Bratz, all the Twilight dolls for $17 each, Lego sets, etc.  All this stuff and here I am on budget lock down for two more weeks.  In the face of all that temptation I held strong... until I saw this thing:

I don't know what my fascination with it was.  It's not even 1:6 scale and I don't own any 18 inch dolls because I don't want any doll around that's big enough to choke me in my sleep.  Regardless, it was the only one there and it was just $15 bucks.  I reasoned away my weakness by saying it might not be there in two weeks so I better get it now.  For shame.

And yet I love it, lol.  Here's everything unassembled.  The aquarium was inside the purple box in the back.  It's meant to be discarded, but I'm sure I'll find some use for it.  I would say that the telephone is the only thing totally out of proportion for 1:6 scale use.

My new My Scene trade from Chynadoll is making her scale model debut.  She is so awesome and look at that super cool hair!  From this set, the only thing I wouldn't use is the "rug." Even though the phone is huge, I could see it as a decor novelty item.

The aquarium is very sturdy and has a nice thickness to it.  Too bad the light switch doesn't toggle on and off because it would have made a sweet nightlight.  Unfortunately, it wont stay on unless you press it... or tape it down.

The table assembles easily and is made from dense plastic.  I plan to use it as a template to produce more tables just like it in the future - made out of cardboard, of course.  I tested chairs to see what a good height would be.  Barbie chairs are too low, but Dora stools are just right.

You can also use the aquarium base as a table base!  It's a little lower than the actual table base so it gives you some options to work with.

You can also use it as a drafting table base!  I added some clips to the Dora Explorer canvas and voila.  Take the clips off and you'll have a nice little student desk.  Also from the Dora set, I put the vase stand underneath the aquarium and it held it up just fine.

Now the original colors are not to my tastes so I've already made some changes.  I used a red marker on the lamp base and I will do the same to the table legs, but not until after I use it as a template.  The aquarium top and its base will probably be black at some point.

I covered the chair with a red handkerchief and stitched in a few tufts.  I was going to add a platform and legs, but then I wouldn't be able to squish it flat and store it away easily.  Besides, I like how big and comfy it looks, like something you would find in a kid's room or student's dorm.  Clawdeen likes it and she is VERY particular, so I guess I'll leave it alone.

Although this is truly a forbidden purchase, gotta say that I have no regrets.

44 comments:

  1. Ok as many times as I've been through Walmart (many WM's) I've never seen this line. Now I have to keep my eyes open. I like this set up. A definite paint job is needed but it's great. This is a great set to use

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dollz4Moi, I have seen this brand line in Walmart before but I passed over it because it was mostly big clothes and food. This was my first time noticing something that looked as though it could be converted for smaller scale use. The box was manufactured in 2010 so they could have pulled it from the dregs and its not made anymore???

      Delete
  2. I really love that chair. It looks so comfy. And I love it even more covered like that. It's a great set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alura it's super comfy. It has a soft cotton feel with a little bit of bean filling in the front to help it with balance.

      Delete
  3. Isn't it odd how things that are for 18 inch dolls actually work better for 1:6 scale? Ahh Mattel needs to step up there game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Verona, this is my first time buying anying that was for 18 inchers. I usually just walk by those sections. In the future I'm going to pause and take a better look.

      Delete
  4. Just as Dollz4Moi said, I have never seen this line at my WalMart. Will Keep my eyes open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frannie, if you go to the Walmart website they seem to just be selling a Friends Boutique salon chair. But if you do an internet image search for "friends boutique walmart" you can see some of the other items that were on sale at one time.

      Delete
  5. Your imagination and creativity has no limits... it's incredible the combinations you've done with that oversized set, they fit 1/6 dolls perfectly!! Love the drafting table and the new look of the sofa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Rossetti. I do have fun trying to see what other uses and combinations I can get out of stuff.

      Delete
  6. Hello from Spain: I like all this furniture. The tank is very original. The chair is beautiful. I love the variety of scenes you created. Keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marta, I think I like the tank the most. It's just really well made and so cute.

      Delete
  7. Fantastic furniture! I understand, why do you love them :) The last photo is awsome :) Clawd is very relaxed :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Elianka. Clawdeen is very hard to please, so the fact that the chair passed her inspection was quite surprising.

      Delete
  8. That is a great set!! I really love the chair, it would be perfect for the Happy Family house. All the kids would fit in it perfectly! Great find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brini, once I got the chair covered I figured it would be perfect for teen types. However the adults seem to like it too, because right now a Basic lady and a Power Team guy are canoodling on it as we speak.

      Delete
  9. Esta increible¡¡ la pecera y su luz son ideales, la mesa me ha gustado, porque es muy simple, pero el sofa es genial, me encanta su nuevo color, y como se ve en la fotos¡¡ felicidades por su comprar. Besos desde España¡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias, Sarai! He disfrutado jugando con los elementos y ver qué podía hacer con ellos.

      I used Google Translate to type that so hopefully it makes sense. ^_^

      Delete
  10. I have never seen this line either. I love the transformations that you made. The red is much prettier. Thanks for sharing! Happy Sunday Muff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya, Georgia Girl and thanks so much. I picked red because my other kerchief choices were bright orange or yuck green with paisley. Red won out, lol.

      Delete
  11. OMG Muff if I had read your post before I went to walmart I would have been up and down the Elkton Super Walmart aisles looking for this set. I'd have to say you were right to break from your two week budget lock down. I love the way you recovered the chair it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MustIWait the box is from 2010 so I'm not sure it would be in stock. I'm going to keep an eye out for them though because I wouldn't mind having another one.

      Delete
  12. I would love to sleep on that chair!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sergio it's super comfy and suitable for overnight guests! Gotta bring your own pillow though. ^_^

      Delete
  13. I'm with everyone else, I have never seen this in my Walmart ! I'm on the look out . Madison looks cute chilling in that chair! Great stuff Muff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chynadoll, Madison2 is enjoying her new digs. She was not expecting to be put to work as a scale model so soon but she is fitting in well around here.

      Delete
  14. What a great set. That chair and the recovered version look very comfortable. You're giving me ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrickters I'm all about ideas, so I'm happy to spread them about, lol. ^_^

      Delete
  15. This is a great looking set, Muff. Very retro. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, Roxanne! This set kind of reminds me of the furniture in our room when we were kids. Very bold and stripey, lol. Even though the colors seem garish to my adult eyes, I think they are good for a kid.

      Delete
  16. I have seen this line in in Walmart but never this set mostly its the salon chair and car. Gotta keep my eyes open and see if this one is available!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jay! They are worth looking out for. Although I did find one person selling them online for 39.99. It's not worth that though.

      Delete
  17. Great score. And I love how you made IT work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roville! It's a fun set to play with.

      Delete
  18. What a good eye you have! Thanks for sharing this furniture. Looks like it fits Barbie-scale better than some of the stuff created for Barbies, lol.

    I love the recovered sofa. Both Madison and Clawdeen look comfy on it. And the lamp with that brightly designed shade is my favorite of these pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya, D7ana. Barbie furniture has always seemed on the skimpy side, like your doll couldn't really get comfortable on it. This set is so thick and sturdy. That lamp shade and base are a dense plastic also. The shade is a spool that you can put any paper around. I'll probably change the stem to something taller maybe.

      Delete
  19. Very nice! Glad you released your budget lock down. You may have regretted it had it not been there. That chair is perfect for college dorms and teen rooms. Love the lighted aquarium and the lamp. I always love seeing your transformations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vanessa! I don't seem capable of just leaving items as they were intended. Gotta put my Muff stamp on 'em!

      Delete
  20. I guess we all need to give WalMart a better look! I haven't seen this either! Great find! BTW did you ever use the MyScene head I sent you? I thought it was her when I first saw her but her makeup is different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Leo, that is your Madison in the second to last photo in the red shirt. I did a whole post on her last month. Here's the link for ya. My First Trade!

      Delete
  21. Hey Muff,

    If you wanna get rid of that phone, my 18" Julie doll would love it! She needs a retro phone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya and welcome, Hardygirl66! Nope, I'm keeping my awesome phone, lol. It's just too cute to part with.

      Delete
  22. What a fun set, my favorite pieces are the aquarium and lamp, the red base looks better though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dailey! I'm still partial to the big comfy sofa from this set.

      Delete