Friday, August 31, 2012

Tech Deck SK8 Parks & Hollywood High

When Target was having its major clearance sale last July, which I now like to affectionately call, "The Best Sale Ever," I picked up a bunch of Tech Decks at varying prices.



There were five different SK8 Park versions available and some of them I got multiple copies of.  Originally priced at $9.99, I got 2 at $6.68, then the next week 2 at $4.98 and the following week 3 at $2.98.  I found the larger Hollywood High version at Ross for $12.99.


The small ones come with a skateboard, a full ramp, a half section ramp and four connectors (2 long, 2 short).  I wanted to use the yellow one as a handicapped ramp, but the rise of it is too high.  It's more suited for a delivery area slope.


The big one comes completely assembled with four skateboards.  The "No Skateboarding" sign is only on one side of the stairs and apparently some miscreant youth has crossed out "skateboarding" for you.


The fence is attached by little holes in the side of the stairs and it just pops off with some tugging.


I have to say I think it looks better as a fence in my house's garden than as part of the stairs.


The back section of the stairs can be unassembled easily.  You can use them as separate wholes if you like or reconnect them.


The SK8 Parks can have many configurations.  The first photo, top left is what I've done for the steps to my house to give more of a landing for the dolls to stand on.  So, my stairs aren't actually flush to the door, instead I made a cutaway so the second rise slides underneath the door.

The next set of photos will show you step clearance for different 1:6 doll feet.  I'm not using any wires to hold them up, but each doll has one leg strategically placed against the side wall to help them balance.


Liv feet.  In flat shoes she could not put one foot directly on the step below, or perhaps I gave up too quickly.  About 3/8 of her foot overhangs the step, but it's not so much that she cant balance.


Barbie feet.  These stairs are perfect for Fashionista heels.  There is even extra room on the step and she was able to put one foot below the next.


Male feet.  There was no way I could get both male feet on the steps.  He had to put one foot on the landing and the other foot is on the step at an angle.  Even then, more than half of his foot is off the step.  It's doable, but hard to balance.  He's wearing Liv boots, so Ken or Bieber may be even more difficult.


Liv feet.  The large stairs are really too small in scale to be adequately believable (unless you work with smaller dolls or action figures, which I do ^_^).


However, once again, you might get away with it if you are using Barbie feet.  This Fashionista has one leg against the railing to help her back leg balance, but really, no "human" railing would be that low.  You could always pull the railings out, but I'm not about to.


Once broken down, all 8 sets will fit into two of the large bins from my storage towers. I like the various ways you can mix and match them and although made from plastic, they are rather sturdy.  The railings on the SK8 Parks have a nice clank to them as though they are actually a metal alloy, which they could be, for all I know.  The Hollywood High railing is lightweight plastic.

I'm going to recommend the SK8 Parks (especially if you find them on clearance) as they are a finely made product.  However, I'm not going to recommend the Hollywood High if you want it for 1:6 scale.  If you work in a smaller scale then it's a very nicely detailed product for the cost.

37 comments:

  1. Great illustrations, Muff. These were great prices.

    I recently read that when Target clearance items end in 8, the price will be marked down again. Based on the clearance prices of the SK8 Parks items you purchased, which all end in 8, this must be true. I wonder if the $2.98-priced item sold out before it received a
    further reduction.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DBG, I think I read that same article on Yahoo about how Target clearances items. Maybe some Target aficionado can confirm but I don't think that they lower the price below 70%. They start out 30 to 50 and finally 70. I tried very hard to hold out so I got several items at 70% off. By that point you are dealing with crushed boxes and the dregs, but as long as the content inside is okay, I'm getting it.

      Delete
  2. Very cool prop. I haven't seen them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgia Girl, they are in the "boys" section where they have a bunch sporty toys. I got these early July, so they may have gotten rid of them by now.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen these before either - thanks Muff, now I'll have to start wandering around the boy's toys as well. Seriously, it was really interesting seeing how the stairs worked for different doll feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrickters, I'm like a stalker when it comes to toy aisles! I will go up and down each and every one. Even those annoying "learning" aisles that scream crap at you as you pass by. But now the "plushie" aisles squeak and bark at you too.

      Delete
  4. Your photos are awesome. I have used these before and imho they can be quite effective in 1:6 scenes. Thanks for reporting on the sale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure you'll do great dios using these cool pieces! I haven´t seen them here in Spain, and you were lucky at finding them at those low prices!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rossetti. I was very happy with the pricing especially since it kept going down and down, lol.

      Delete
  6. Very cool! Love the way you photographed them! Thanks for the info on the sale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the photos and the sale notice. You do take the clearest photos ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D7ana, my Canon takes all the credit for the clear photos. I just take a billion and pick the ones that I didn't shake out of focus.

      Delete
  8. Interesting post Muff! We have a similar mini skateboards series here, but I don't know if they have what you showed here. I'll have to chek ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sergio, Target also carries a different version of the brand that is made from wood but it's mostly slopes and ramps with no stairs. Those also were not on sale, lol.

      Delete
  9. They're very cool looking! Hmm...I'll have to look and see if I can find them at my local Target store. Both would work out just fine for me, not particular about perfect scaling.

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy India! If scale isn't an issue then they are nicely detailed pieces to add to anything.

      Delete
  10. Those are nice wish I had run across a set will keep my eyes open for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mustiwait, with all the awesome story telling you do, I think they would come in handy.

      Delete
  11. I never imagined these pieces would be great for doing dios! I think I have to open my mind! I'm looking forward to seeing how you use them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Acerico. As much as I like making things, it's always nice to find something pre made that's cheap!

      Delete
  12. Do you know how to make glass eyes for liv dolls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tyren, you can use polymer clay to mimic eyes for a Liv. If you are in the states, try the cheap brand from Walmart. You can then use paint for the iris and pupil of the eye and seal it with gloss medium.

      Delete
  13. Hello from Spain: I congratulate you on the purchase of the stairs. I'm looking for some stairs and can not find them and there are very expensive. I love watching your dolls on the stairs. It is very real ... keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marta! I know I could make some stairs out of popsicle sticks, but it was nice to find them already made.

      Delete
  14. You really did luck up and find a really great structure. I have never seen this deck in the stores. I better spend more time in the aisles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brini, I really have Vanessa to thank for my finding those stairs. When she posted about finding Stardolls for $7.50 that's when I went to Target and found so so many items.

      Delete
  15. Hola¡¡¡ A mi personalemtne me han parecido una idea genial¡¡ nunca se me hubiese ocurrido¡'¡ quedan muy bien, a mi me gusta¡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola, Sarai y gracias. Espero que usted serĂ¡ capaz de utilizar estos en algunos de sus proyectos. ^_^

      Delete
  16. Oh goodness, my boys saw the skate park and started jumping up and down. I didn't tell them that I've had skate park items here for more than 6 months. They would kill me. They still probably won't see them until Christmas. By the way, hopefully you realize I am talking about my 1/6 scale preteens. I don't have the same items as pictured above. Those are really cool. Thanks for the explicit stair demonstration. I guess I will think about looking at mine in the upcoming months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Vanessa, yes I realized you were talking about doll boys. Since I don't care for being outdoors I figured I could at least create some dios that make it appear that my dolls are getting some outdoor freshness.

      Delete
  17. I don't know if it's just me, it most likely is, but I'd use the Hollywood high tech deck play set for like a haunted house, or grave yard scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracey, that totally fits. With its black fence and cracked steps I can see the HH Tech Deck being the entrace to some creepy house or mansion.

      Delete
  18. Hi any of the Hollywood High sets for sale?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren, you can find them on Amazon and eBay, but nope, mine isn't for sale.

      Delete